The Office of the Prothonotary and Registrar in Bankruptcy performs the following functions for the Court:
- mediates all small claims cases;
- conducts garnishee hearings;
- executes conveyances, transfers or mortgages when ordered by the Court;
- authorized to issue subpoenas for some inferior courts/tribunals;
- authorized to hear some uncontested motions, applications and references;
- performs civil wedding ceremonies under the Marriage Act.
The notarial service provided by the Prothonotary is by appointment only. The Prothonotary will notarize affidavits and other similar documents, excluding some legal documents such as property transactions, separation agreements, and general Powers of Attorney. Identification is required and the cost is $10 per person. Due to time constraints, there may be a limit placed on the number of documents per attendance. To book an appointment, please call (902)-368-6006.
The Prothonotary is also the Registrar in Bankruptcy and receives all bankruptcy documents and conducts and renders decisions in contested bankruptcy hearings.
Additional Information can be found in the Judicature Act.
General Contact Information
Karen Rose - Prothonotary
Assistant: Heather Watts