The Office of the Prothonotary and Registrar in Bankruptcy performs the following functions for the Court:
- mediates all small claims cases;
- conducts garnishee hearings and criminal show-cause hearings for Provincial Court;
- executes conveyances, transfers or mortgages when ordered by the Court;
- authorized to issue subpoenas for some inferior courts/tribunals;
- authorized to hear some uncontested motions, applications and references;
- performs civil wedding ceremonies under the Marriage Act.
Effective October 21, 2019
The Prothonotary provides a notary service on most Mondays from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. in Charlottetown and Fridays from 11 a.m. to noon in Summerside, or by appointment. The Prothonotary will notarize affidavits and other similar documents, excluding some legal documents such as property transactions, separation agreements, and general Powers of Attorney. Those planning on attending should call prior to arriving to confirm availability on that particular day. Identification is required and the cost is $10 per person. Due to time constraints, there may be a limit placed on the number of documents per attendance.
The Prothonotary is also the Registrar in Bankruptcy and receives all bankruptcy documents and conducts and renders decisions in contested bankruptcy hearings.
Additional Information can be found in the Judicature Act.
General Contact Information
Krista J. MacKay, Q.C, Prothonotary
Assistant: Heather Watts